The International School of the Sacred Heart - Japan has two libraries that serve a school population of over 500 students and provides services to parents, students, faculty, staff and others in the community.
Our collections are curated to support the school curriculum, facilitate research, and promote a love of reading in students. Between the two libraries there are over 34,000 books in English, Japanese, and French, as well as DVDs, periodicals, and CDs.
We are committed to providing quality resources in both paper and digital formats.
Students have access to ePlatform, an online library with a large collection of fiction reading and listening materials.
Students wishing to complete assignments and research projects have access to several useful subscription databases such as Britannica Online, EBSCOhost magazine database, Jstor, Explora. These resources can be accessed on their laptops at school or at home via password.
For more information about our libraries and their services please visit our website here.
Kindergarten and Junior School Library
Operational hours for Parents
- Mon - Fri: 8:20 am - 8:50 am
- Mon - Fri: 2:50 pm - 3:50 pm
K/JS Library Loans Allowances
- K3 - K5: Two items for one week
- Grades 1 - 2: Three items for one week
- Grades 3 - 4: Four items for one week
- Parents: Five items for two weeks
Middle and High School Library
Operational hours for Students
- 8:15 am to 5:00 pm on school days
MS/HS Student Loan Allowances
- Total number: Five items
- Books: Up to five books for two weeks
- Max 1 short series
- Max 1 Sakura Medal Book (Chapter Books Collection)
- Max 1 Study Guide (3 days)
- DVDs: One video for overnight or three videos for weekend
- Magazines: One magazine for two weeks
Reserved/bulk loan resources are available for in-library or overnight use and can be arranged by teachers.
Library Services Available
- Reference and research assistance
- Book recommendations/requests/repairs
- ePlatform information and training
- Laptop charger check-outs
- Teach Library skills
- Sakura Medal Book Bowl Information
- Overdue fines and charges
- Reserves and bulk loans to support classes (teachers only)
Head of Library
- Danielle Leeuwendaal
Library Assistant (MS/HS Library)
- Aaron Paulson
Library Assistant (K/JS Library)
- Karen Huang
Sakura Medal Reading and Art Programmes
The Sakura Medal reading program brings together students from international schools across Japan each year.
Students have the chance to read and vote for their favourite books in a number of different categories including: Picture Books, Chapter Books, Graphic Novels, Middle School Fiction, High School Fiction, Japanese Picture Books, Japanese Chapter Books, Japanese Middle School Fiction, and Japanese High School Fiction.
There is also an annual Sakura Medal Art Competition in which students can participate.