The International School of the Sacred Heart has two libraries that serve a school population of over 500 students. The libraries have collections which support the curriculum, facilitate research, and promote a love of reading. They also provide library services to faculty, parents, and others in the school community.
The Kindergarten/Junior School and Middle School/High School Library holdings include over 34,000 books in English, Japanese, and French, as well as DVDs, periodicals, and CDs.
The libraries have a commitment to providing quality resources in digital format as well. Alexandria, our online library catalog, provides links to 14,000 websites vetted by teachers and librarians. Library users also have access to several useful subscription databases such as Britannica Online and EBSCOhost magazine database with Explora (for younger students). Students can access these resources on their laptops at school or at home via password.
Please go to Our Sacred Heart to find the passwords to access the library’s online resources.
Kindergarten and Junior School Library
- Ms. Woori Choi
- Ms. Nikhita Varma
- Mon - Fri: 8:20 am - 8:50 am (temporarily suspended)
- Mon - Fri: 2:50 pm - 3:45 pm
- K3 - K5: Two books for one week
- Grade 1 - 2: Three books for one week
- Grades 3 - 4: Four books for one week
- Parents: Five books for two weeks
Middle and High School Library
- Mrs. Jessica Hahn
- Mrs. Miyuki Fujii
Afternoon Library Assistant
- Mr. Luis Frenzell
- 8:20 am to 5:00 pm on school days
- Books: Six books for two weeks (Only one in a short series, 1 Sakura Medal, 4 English, other languages for the rest)
- Videos: One video for overnight or three videos for weekend
- Magazines: One magazine for two weeks
Reserved/bulk loan resources are available for in-library or overnight use
- Reference and research assistance
- Reader advisor
- Laptop Check-out
- Teach Library skills
- Book Bowl
- Reserves and bulk loans to support classes
SAKURA MEDAL READING PROGRAM
The Sakura Medal reading program brings together students from international schools across Japan each year to vote for their favourite books in a number of different categories, including Picture Books, Chapter Books, Graphic Novels, Middle School Fiction, High School Fiction, Japanese Picture Books, Japanese Chapter Books, Japanese Middle School Fiction, and Japanese High School Fiction. There is also an annual Sakura Medal art competition in which students can participate.
For more information on the Sakura Medal reading program please visit: